Written by Olivia Lehnertz
The team is only as strong as it’s NetSuite Administrator.
The NetSuite Administrator role is practically a prerequisite for making the most of your NetSuite software. If you’re going to utilize the #1 Cloud software in the world you need a strong, experienced individual to be the heart and soul of the operation. But before you write the job description and post it to LinkedIn, there’s a few things you should consider before hiring a NetSuite Administrator.
If you’re concerned about the cost of hiring a full-time NetSuite Administrator, we understand. At Cloud Genius, we know how vital a NetSuite Administrator is to a thriving organization, and how expensive it can be to hire a full-time employee. For that reason, we offer NetSuite Administrators On-Demand. It is the same service you would receive from hiring a full-time NetSuite Admin at a fraction of the cost. One of our senior-level NetSuite experts will be dedicated to your account and available to troubleshoot your issues. They will offer ongoing support for your day-to-day operations.
We’ve compiled a list of 5 things to consider when deciding between hiring a full-time NetSuite administrator or using a NetSuite partner like Cloud Genius as an extension of your team.
1. The Roles and Responsibilities
Somebody told you when you implemented your new software that you’re going to need a NetSuite Administrator. But what does that person do, exactly? A LOT. Here is a rundown of the roles and responsibilities for a NetSuite administrator:
- Staying up-to-date on the newest NetSuite functionality (especially during NetSuite’s bi-annual releases), making sure your NetSuite customizations carry over flawlessly, and helping you take advantage of new features
- Creating and modifying custom user roles, to control access to sensitive information and enforce data security
- Creating and publishing dashboards for groups or specific users, like CEO or CFO, as well as giving them real time access to business-critical key performance indicators
- Assisting in the creation of reports and answering day-to-day NetSuite questions
- Using NetSuite’s advanced customization tools
- Importing data and ensuring the integrity of your NetSuite account
(Feel free to copy and paste this information into your job description. We won’t tell.)
2. The Hard and Soft Skills Needed for the Role
The NetSuite Administrator role is an important one (if you haven’t already gathered that) and requires a very specific set of hard AND soft skills to execute the role effectively. Here are some hard skills that our consultants at Cloud Genius possess that make them great NetSuite Administrators:
- The ability to effectively oversee NetSuite implementation, integration, and testing
- Experience with the data import and migration process
- The ability to keep up with NetSuite updates
- Experience customizing configurations of NetSuite to meet very specific needs
- The ability to provide on-going services and technical support for all users in the NetSuite system
- Experience with the NetSuite dashboard and providing users with relevant reports and KPIs
- Experience working with NetSuite ERP, CRM, and eCommerce
- Strong knowledge in SuiteAnalytics, SuiteBuilder, and SuiteCloud Platform
- Experience with billing, payments, A/R, general ledger, revenue recognition, planning, audit, and reporting
As you may have learned the hard way throughout your professional career, all the hard skills in the world don’t make up for a bad attitude or work ethic. When considering a candidate or NetSuite partner for the NetSuite Administrator role, it is vital to get a clear understanding of how this person interacts with colleagues, how they solve problems, and how they manage their work. During the interview process, you’ll definitely want to ask the age-old question, “so what are your strengths?” Here are some answers you should be looking for, as these are the soft skills necessary for a NetSuite Administrator that won’t be hated by everyone in your company:
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Lifelong learner (this person needs to be constantly expanding their knowledge of existing NetSuite features and new features that can be added)
- Analytical thinking
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work with different departments in multiple business disciplines
- Strong leadership skills
- Willingness to provide support and user training across departments
How many years of experience should you expect from your NetSuite Administrator? Of course this depends on a variety of factors-namely, how much you are willing to pay this person (more on that later) and how much time you will dedicate to training them.
According to a survey done by NetSuite Recruitment Experts Anderson Frank, 53% of NetSuite Administrators have 3-to-6 years of experience in NetSuite software, and 6% of successful NetSuite administrators have less than two years of experience within the tech industry. So what is necessary to succeed in the role? 50% of survey participants said that experience working on large projects, experience in vertical markets and having years of business experience makes them more valuable in the NetSuite market.
At Cloud Genius, all of our consultants are senior-level and have 10+ years of experience working in and around NetSuite, so we can give you the expert advice your business needs to succeed. Additionally, all of our consultants are also accountants. We look at our clients business processes, starting with the General Ledger, and see how NetSuite can best fit. Our On-Demand NetSuite Administrators challenge our clients with real world understanding of how business process changes within the software will impact their overall business.
4. The Cost of Hiring a Full-Time NetSuite Administrator
Recruiting and hiring a full-time NetSuite administrator can be a time-consuming and costly investment. According to Anderson Frank, the average expected salary of a NetSuite Administrator is on the rise. Since 2017, a mid-level NetSuite Administrator salary has increased by 6.2% from $95,443 to $101,423. Before you post that job application, you’re going to want to ask yourself: does your company have the capacity or size to hire a full-time NetSuite Administrator? If not, do not worry-there are other lower cost options.
5. Hiring an On-Demand NetSuite Administrator with Cloud Genius ERP
If you decide to go with one of our On-Demand NetSuite Administrators at Cloud Genius, we will make sure your NetSuite ERP system works seamlessly for your company after the go-live.
What’s Included in our NetSuite Administrator On-Demand Services:
- Problem Troubleshooting
- Feature Training
- New Release Support
- Custom Scripting & Coding
- Form Designs
- Project Management Support
- CSV Imports
- Workflow Improvement
- Business Process Management
- Day-to-day Admin Support
- Custom Searches & Reports
- Process Documentation
- User Managemet
- Role Management
- Change Control Management
Bottom line is, we are “yes” people at Cloud Genius. NetSuite is a platform and we believe it’s our job to customize that platform to help your business run more effectively and seamlessly.
We hope you found this information helpful in your search for a NetSuite Administrator. For more NetSuite resources, check out the rest of our website.